What is a “Chimney Crown”?
The crown of your chimney, typically comprised of concrete or cement, is the top or “Lid” of your chimney. The function – your chimney’s first line of defense against water damage.
Fractures in the crown allow water to penetrate through the crown into the underlying brick and mortar joints.
A properly designed, installed, and maintained chimney crown facilitates water run-off from the top of the chimney down the sides, thus preventing standing water and potential damage from freeze/thaw cycles.
How does a chimneys Crown break?
Since most masonry crowns lack the ability to expand and contract with temperature changes, many old crowns can naturally fracture. Subsequent freeze/thaw cycles cause further damage to the crown and the underlying mortar joints, as well as the bricks.
With each passing season, the deterioration compounds and accelerates, ultimately requiring expensive repairs.
If left unattended, your chimney may even require rebuilding.
During a routine chimney service, your chimney professional will identify any possible problems with your crown. If problems are detected, your best defense against costly repairs is to protect your crown before severe deterioration begins.
Damaged Chimney Crowns
How does CrownGuard work?
CrownGuard is your most cost-effective, longest-lasting, preventative measure for your home’s chimney, here is how it all works:
- CrownGuard HP uses a proprietary blend of compounds formulated for permanent adhesion to masonry surfaces.
- The superior bonding properties of the CrownGuard HP product cause the materials to form permanent membranes over the entire surface of the crown, effectively sealing all fractures.
- CrownGuard HP’s rubber-like properties provide a flexible, 100% waterproof seal
Once properly applied, each CrownGuard HP product repels water immediately and flexes with the crown as the chimney expands and contracts with temperature changes. CrownGuard HP can be applied in severe weather conditions, as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
With Firesafe’s CrownGuard, your chimney professional does not have to wait for warm or dry weather to protect your chimney. The CrownGuard HP product can be applied over an old crown with fractures or over a newly laid crown, protecting the chimney when damaging fractures occur.
What about the sun?
Each CrownGuard product is formulated to withstand severe UV light, heat, and acid rain. Unlike other water-base crown products, CrownGuard will not peel or separate from the crown (Like the photo above). Each CrownGuard product is backed by a limited, lifetime guarantee (ask your chimney professional for details or contact us).
Corrections with CrownGuard
Why is CrownGuard your chimney’s best option?
- CrownGuard HP is the 1st choice of chimney professionals nationwide.
- Permanent, waterproof membrane.
- Maintains flexible properties – will not crack.
- Applies in extreme temperatures (-40 F to +140 F).
- Service temperature range (-40 F to +250 F).
- Resists water immediately.
- Superior ultraviolet resistance.
- Economical & Simple to reseal
- Crystal clear & Mildew resistant
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, all CrownGuard products come with a limited lifetime guarantee (ask your chimney professional for details).
Yes. Due to the specific customization process, all chimney products are only available to contractors.
Like what you see?
Learn about Fire Safe Inc.’s products and find a contractor here: